Friday, October 06, 2006

Summer 2006 - A summary

Normally I'm totally obsessed with shore fishing for bass from the spring right through, but this year I promised myself I would try and concentrate on other species.
Started out well with a PB spotted ray (3 and a half lb) at Browndown Bay in May. Then I set my store for some smoothounds. Again, some modest success at Gilkicker with a few to 5lb - but then a good run of fish up to 8 lb at Brownwich . OK, nothing to set the world on fire, but very satisfying to me.
Next - Stingrays - I felt a good chance for these at my favourite local venue of Hillhead cliffs (Brownwich). Took a couple of guys I know from another forum to a mark I thought good for this. Over a couple of weeks they proceded to catch a number of stingers of 6 or 7 lb, culminating in an 18 lb + beauty ! My tally - zero !
On the up side from the same spot I took a number of thornback rays - the best being 7lb and 9lb (another shore PB) on consecutive nights !
Sole were also on my wish list - again I hadn't caught a decent sole for years due to 'Bass hysteria'. I'm happy to say I've landed a couple in recent weeks (again at Brownwich) to 1 lb 8oz and bizzarely during the same session as that one, a codling of 1lb 11oz to the same bait /tactics !
Now the down side. I know it's not over yet, but I've had a poor season for bass. I've had a sprinkling of them up to 4 lb, but by now I've normally got a few quality fish (for me) of 6 lb plus under my belt. I wonder if its because I've not kept to the usual totally single minded approach as regards bass, or simply that I've been a bit crap ? Or has it just not been a very good season inshore for bass ? The spectre of dwindleing stocks is of course ever present. We'll see ....


Smoothhounds to 8lb











A brace of bass to 4lb











7lb Thornback ray
















9lb Thornback and a very tired me !
















Sole 1lb 6oz and codling 1lb 11oz - early September

2 Comments:

At 5:29 PM, Blogger Giles said...

Hi Richard,

Moved down to Gosport about a year ago and just started looking around the area for some fishing. Tried Stokes Bay a few times over the last week, mainly for Mackerel but did a night session at gilkicker, but got weeded up beyond belief. Found your Blog very interesting, keep up the good work.

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Geordie said...

Hi Richard

Great site and very interesting. just started fishing again after a long absence. Only had two sessions one at stokes bay and one at lee on solent both produced fish. would love to meet up for some tips and good hot spots. Things have moved on a bit since I used to fish in the cold North East.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home